About Us Ortho Children's Dentistry Meet our Team Contact Us
Tom C. Sexton, Tallahassee FL Pediatric Dentist, Thomasville GA Orthodontist Pediatric Dentist
Tallahassee Orthodontist
  Orthodontics Topics
Dr. Sexton, Facebook


No sticky, chewy foods like any kind of gum, caramel, taffy, gummy worms, Starburst, Skittles, Snickers, Nerds Rope, etc. Enjoy candy like Hershey bars, M&M's (without peanuts), Reese's Peanutbutter Cups, anything soft.
Stay away from hard, crunchy foods like peanuts, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, hard cereals (Honeybunches of Oats, Captain Crunch, etc.) Enjoy ice cream without nuts. Be careful eating the hard, outer
crusts of pizza.
Never eat popcorn. The kernels can give you a serious gum infection and break off brackets.

Ice is definitely orthodontic enemy #1. Ice is very bad to bite on with or without braces.

No hard candy. The temptation to bite down is too great and the sugar content is too high.

Remember the "O" rule: When eating potato chips that end in "O" (Cheetos, Freetos, Doritos, nachos) the chip is too hard. Enjoy chips like Lays or Pringles. No pretzels. No hard tacos, enjoy soft tacos instead.

Take all meats off the bone. Braces may break if you bite into bone. Remove corn from the cob before you eat.
Never open packages with your teeth. Don't bite on fingernails, pens, or pencils.
Cut all raw fruits and vegetables into small bite size pieces. Never bite into apples with your front teeth.

Just because a food is not on the list does not mean it is ok. Common sense will allow you to make the right decisions. Remember, when in doubt it is better to do without!

Dr. Tom C. Sexton, DMD
(850) 668-2080
(229) 227-1190

© Copyright 2003 - Dental WebSmith, Inc., Tom C. Sexton, DMD, PA (Florida), and Tom C. Sexton, DMD, PA (Georgia). All rights reserved. Disclaimer: The information provided within is intended to help you better understand dental conditions and procedures. It is not meant to serve as delivery of medical or dental care. If you have specific questions or concerns, contact your health care provider.